Thursday, April 22, 2010

Diaper Daze

Every parent will be faced with the challenge of finding the perfect diaper for their child. Something that is comfy, affordable, and soaks up ridiculous amounts of urine without exploding into that really hard to clean gel that comes screaming out of diapers that have been overly saturated.

I thought I had it made; I had been using Pampers Swaddlers and Cruisers for the last four years and they were awesome! They were seriously soft, and the mesh liner was the best thing since the advent of modern plumbing. I never had to worry about having separate diapers for day and night because these things absorbed even the most copious amounts of piss. Granted, there have been a couple of rare occasions where Munchkin’s bladder decided to do its best impression of Niagra Falls, but even then, the leaks that occurred weren’t disastrous by any means.

Unfortunately, things have changed, and the amazing diapers described above are now a thing of the past. Pampers Cruisers still exist, but now they are utilizing something called Dry Max and claiming to be “high performance” and “revolutionary.” They are anything but “high performance,” that’s for goddamn sure. When I first came across the new Cruisers, I seriously thought for a second that I had picked up a box that had somehow slipped through the cracks of quality assurance. The thing I pulled out that day was thin and coarse; it was like putting an odd smelling piece of tissue paper on my kid. (These things REEKED of some sort of chemical(s)!) To make matters worse, as soon as it got wet it sagged down to her knees (I’m not even joking here), it leaked, and it gave her a bad case of diaper rash. 

 Customer Action Shot!

A quick Google search let me know that I wasn’t the only one having these issues, and that other kids had it way worse – they were developing chemical burns! On their privates! Motherfucking CHEMICAL BURNS! From a diaper!!? What the fuck, Pampers?? Why are these diapers still being sold????

 Not my kid's privates, but pretty horrible nonetheless.

Anyway, now I have to find a suitable nighttime diaper for my Munchkin and my faith in Proctor and Gamble has been totally destroyed by their dodgy tactics (when they initially changed over to Dry Max there was no indication on the packaging that anything was different. NONE.) and their apparent lack of concern for the parents whose kids are getting blisters on their nether-regions. I called P&G and pwned the shit out of the customer service rep before getting a check for forty bucks... which is cool and all, but in the grand scheme of things, forty bucks isn’t much of a consolation prize at all. My kid leaked everywhere for days and developed a bad rash. And what about the other kids out there? The ones who are getting blistered and burned? Forty dollars is not going to make them feel better, that’s for damn sure!

6 comments (+add yours?)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The sad thing it pampers doesnt wanna listen to us. they say they aint changeing them back because they won prizes for this new diaper and have 500 positive reviews. the facebook web site for bringing back the old diapers has 1400 fans. all the reviews you see at babies r us and all that for these diapers suck. and on top of that Pampers own website has more negative reviews than positive ones and they still swear the new ones are best and dont wanna listen to what were saying

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yeah, I'm pissed. I stupidly bought a big box of them, so I have over 30 of these toxic things left.

The Baby Dry diapers work okay for us, but I had to switch to Huggies until her rash goes away since they are less scented than any Pampers.

We don't have issues with leaks yet, though. Charlotte just doesn't pee that much, I guess. I mean, she pees enough, she's just not a gusher. LOL

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My name is Pattie and I work at Pampers. I'm so sorry to hear that your little one experienced a rash and I appreciate that you gave us a call allowing us to report it. I want to tell you that we have thoroughly reviewed these concerns and haven't found any connection between the new Dry Max technology and skin health issues. So of course we can't say what may have caused some babies, including yours, to experience the rashes described. Of course, the well being of babies is absolutely #1 for us. If you'd like to speak further to us, please give us a call at 1-800-PAMPERS (1-800-726-7377). Thanks for allowing me to respond here.

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Pattie- Whether or not YOUR researchers found any link between the Dry max technology and skin health issues is irrelevant. Thousands of parents HAVE found a link, and we are the ones applying copious amounts of cream to our children's skin to remedy the horrendous rashes your product has caused.

You say that the well-being of babies is your primary concern, but it is hard to believe when your company is ignoring the mounting evidence against this technology.

I know you are just doing your job, and I don't mean to take this out on you personally, but ignoring the problem won't make it go away. And condescending to your customers won't help matters, either.

I marvel at the fact that Pampers doesn't want to take these concerns seriously, considering they are losing customers in droves.

Sophie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That would be why I use cloth diapers with my children. They never leak, they are easy to wash, they cost way less than disposables, they don't smell, they have no chemicals that could burn the skin, and they don't change on me. I LOVE them.

Good luck finding something better!

thelexhex said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Sophie -- Thanks! I have since switched to non-chlorine diapers during the day and Huggies Overnights plus a booster pad at night.

It's not perfect, but it works.

@Pattie -- P&G is totally full of shit. There's no nice way to say it. Babies everywhere are still having issues and your company is still vehemently denying any wrongdoing. I call shenanigans.

Post a Comment

Cake -- and grief counseling -- will be available at the conclusion of this comment.