Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I hate it when I wake up in the morning and I have a totally different face than I did the night before

I’m going to start off by saying that I dig consistency. I don’t consider myself averse to change at all, but when I get comfortable with something, I like to stay in that comfort zone. Unnecessary changes to things that are just fine (if not flat out awesome) annoy the living shit out of me. With that being said…

There are a couple of new Resident Evil titles coming out for the Nintendo 3DS (Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and Resident Evil: Revelations) and there’s something very noticeably different about returning series protagonist and all around HBIC Jill Valentine:

Her FACE.


Jill through the years.

Who is this??
Now, before anyone says anything, this is not the same as the overhaul that her partner, Chris, received previously. If you look at Mr. Redfield, you can see that even though he has gained like, a bazillion pounds of muscle mass, and got a better haircut, his face and his features are still the same as they were in previous titles (I’m not counting CODE: Veronica on Dreamcast back in the day, because of the outdated tech), other than the slight changes that come with getting older.

In the case of Jill, things are much different. She has looked the same (other than some hair and wardrobe changes) since 2002’s Resident Evil Remake dropped on the GameCube, when Canadian model/actress Julia Voth was tapped to lend her likeness to the good folks at Capcom. If her contract ran out, why on earth wouldn’t Capcom want to renew it (if that’s even the case)? Voth, when asked by another blogger about the disappearance of her face, responded via Twitter:

“I have no control over what they do w Jill, they may have tweaked her, but if we make enough noise maybe they’ll bring her back :)”

I sincerely hope I’m not the only one making (audible) noise.

Also, let’s note that Jill's character model in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is a 'tooned up version of Voth (some people say otherwise, but it's really quite obvious...), thus making the move to change her face even more baffling than it already is!

Spoilers, naysayers: it's the nose.


***

Another bothersome change for me has come in the form of the never-ending recasting of Bruce Banner in the Hulk movies. First, we had Eric Bana back in Ang Lee’s 2005 Hulk. Not going to lie: that movie kind of sucked, even if Bana is a good actor. When the 2008 reboot was announced, I understood the need to recast the roles. I mean, that’s what happens in reboots, right? When Edward Norton took over the role of one of Marvel’s iconic characters, I was all, “FUCK YEAH!” The Incredible Hulk did not disappoint, and with an Avengers movie in the works, people everywhere were looking forward to seeing Norton reprise his role. 

Apples and oranges.
And then it was announced that Ed Norton was being replaced by Mark Ruffalo in the upcoming Avengers movie. For no apparent reason. Now, nothing against Mark Ruffalo – the guy’s an awesome actor – but, what the shit, Marvel?! Ruffalo will be the third bloke stepping into Banner’s sometimes overly large shoes in less than ten years… and it’s aggravating as hell. Especially when you consider that no other characters were re-cast.

Midget (who is a huge fan of the 2008 flick) is going to be hella confused when she sees The Avengers next year. 

Apples and condoms.

PS -- don't even get me started on the Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle bullshit between the Iron Man movies. ARGH!

***

When Devil May Cry was released on the PlayStation 2 back in 2001, I worked at the local GameStop. It was a job that had many ups and downs, but I remember having our demo copy of DMC running non-stop during my eight hour shifts. I knew the dialogue to the short intro teaser of the game by heart after about three days, but it was worth it because Devil May Cry was rad, damn it! It helped that the main character, Dante, was such a cool bastard! Cheeky, too. He reminded me a little of Kurt Russell in Big Trouble in Little China

Dante as he appears in DMC 3, 4, and MvC 3.

Dante, through the years, has always been easily recognizable by his white hair, red trench-coat, and general bad-assery. This guy is made of WIN. I enjoyed playing as him in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I enjoyed kicking demon ass while trying to eat a pizza in Devil May Cry 3. I haven’t played 4 yet, but I’ll get there. So, when Capcom announced a reboot of its hyper stylish series, I was surprised as hell. Then, they released a trailer that started off pretty rad -- until a seemingly M.I.A. Dante was revealed to be:

This guy?!!?

What in the fucking fuck is this gutter-punk bastard doing here and where in the fucking fuck is cheeky, Kurt Russell in Big Trouble in Little China Dante?! Seriously, what the shit is this?! Whose idea was this?! Again, why “fix” what isn’t broken?!

I just… I don’t understand any of these decisions, nor do I understand how wanting such things to remain constant is looked at by some as nit-picking or complaining. Isn’t recognition kind of a big deal to how the brain works? To how things are perceived?

Okay, enough with the questions and the rambling. Tell me, dear readers, what do you think of unnecessary change?

5 comments (+add yours?)

Meowlissa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That's it. *enter hissy fit here* When Jill needs fracking botox and goes under the knife because it will be more pleasing to this oh-so-wonderful society of ours...just....sigh. and don't get me started on the whole Hulk routine. Ruffalo...I will never understand. I just watched Conan's trailer this morning. Man played by woman as well as the usual cosmetic changes. Puke. Oh, and to top it off, Rose's role was not originally written for a woman. So they get Rose, plastic surgery queen to star in it. Shocker. I'm guessing Dante has had a sudden fall-off-the-wagon-type-sitch with his Horseroids or something? Blech. Puke again. You total made up for my bitterness by labeling "facial recognition fuckery". Gooooooooal. Said in my most uber soccer announcer voice.

allstarme said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I don't like change. Period!
Oh and I gave you a blog award.

http://allstarme.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/dude-i-won-an-award/

Because I love your blog I chose to do this. Hope you don't think I'm spamming you or anything. :)

Doria said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sometimes change is good, but Im a firm believer in why fix something that isn't broken? It pisses me off. I will never understand.. Awesome post!

Marisa said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I don't know much (or anything!) about video games, but I DO hate when they change actors for certain characters in movies.
Remember hearing about Terrance Howard being replaced and wondering if they ever gave a reason(??) or if they just did it to be assholes.

thelexhex said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Meowlissa -- It does look rather like botox, doesn't it?? I haven't seen the Conan trailer yet, but I'm sure I'll be like, "..." when I do. And holy hell, I was so pissed when they brought out Ruffalo. Edward Norton was fabulous as Banner, and he WANTED to play him again!! Marvel is seriously trippin'.

@allstar -- Thank you x9234982382038220!!!

@Doria -- I agree that change can be good. But I'm not down with change just for the sake of change (does that make sense)?

@Marisa -- I honestly don't remember if they gave a reason. It probably had something to do with salary...

Post a Comment

Cake -- and grief counseling -- will be available at the conclusion of this comment.