Sunday, June 5, 2011

This is not a good look for you

Cosplay: Literally "Costume Play." Dressing up and pretending to be a fictional character (usually a sci-fi, comic book, or anime character). -- urbandictionary.com

I know I've mentioned this before on Ze Twitter and in various conversations throughout the years, but cosplay fucking scares me. I just don’t get it. I mean, I get dressing up… for Halloween, or costume parties – that's fun! But what, exactly, is the point of dressing up as your favourite character on a warm summer day and taking “artsy” photos of yourself in front of a random building, or in a meadow before heading off to that convention? What’s the deal with the poses? Why won’t a simple smile suffice?

Okay, I sort of understand if your costume is actually awesome (yes, this does happen occasionally, but more on that in a minute), and you want some kind of visual record of it. But those silly poses are a bit much. Also a bit much? When you look fucking ridiculous but take, like, a bazillion pictures of yourself looking fucking ridiculous with the express purpose of posting them all over the internet.

As I mentioned before, I’ve actually seen some pretty dope examples of cosplay: Where the clothes are made with painstaking attention to detail, and the wearer looks the part they are trying to portray. Observe:

Ya Ya Han makes her own outfits, and they usually come out pretty rad.

Phoenix Kasai's C.Viper is amazing! This really doesn't do it justice.

Of course, the impressive stuff is pretty rare. More often than not, you’ll find shit like this: 

NO.


NO!








NOT BETTER!


It’s stuff like this that genuinely makes me believe that mankind is doomed.


From top to bottom: Lenne (Final Fantasy X-2), Crimson Viper (Street Fighter 4, Marvel vs Capcom 3), Dante (Devil May Cry, Marvel vs Capcom 3), Jill Valentine (Resident Evil 3: Nemesis), Doctor Octopus (Spider-Man 2 - film), Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)

5 comments (+add yours?)

Cheshire said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I can't unsee this

mmeperpetua said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The only thing that rates on the same page of "oh, my" is the whole furry thing.

I just...yeah. I don't get it. I try to be open-minded about non-standard sex stuff, but the idea of screwing someone wearing a mascot head just freaks me out.

clara said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That tinfoil snake thing just made me snort vinegar out my nose. Yes. Vinegar.

Holy shit. I also do not get cosplay. When my husband told me about it years ago I didn't believe him. Oh thank god for the internet where there is living proof only a click away!

thelexhex said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Cheshire -- But you can't unsee C.Viper, either, eh? *wink, nudge*


@mmeperpetua -- Furries. SMH. Knew one once: Never said it was his bag, but it was that unspoken thing in the circle that was given away by a gamertag and some photos that popped up on some sort of furry message board.

@Clara -- Vinegar out of the nose sounds like it HURTS. Sorry about that. The internet is a strange and wondrous place...

Doria said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

*giggles* Good or not, I may never understand either! :)

Post a Comment

Cake -- and grief counseling -- will be available at the conclusion of this comment.