Thursday, November 17, 2011

My mom gave Midget a bible and it's totally fucking with my shit

Religion is always one of those topics that makes me groan and roll my eyes. See, I was raised Catholic – kind of. I only went to church a handful of times, and I think I missed a communion or two. I chalk it up to my family being busy and dysfunctional. Anyway, my household wasn’t like, super religious or anything, but there was talk of God, and there were rosaries, and crosses and bibles. Hell, I even wore a little golden crucifix around my neck until I turned about thirteen or so and decided that it just wasn’t for me.

Flash forward to maaaany years later: I got into Wicca, but I didn’t practice strictly or anything like that. In fact, as time goes on, I have found myself rather disconnected from a good deal of it. I describe myself as “Pagan with a dash of ‘Why bother’?” because I look around at the world and all of the truly horrible things that go on, and I sincerely have trouble believing in much of anything other than the fact that people are pretty fucked up.

When it comes to the kids, it’s a challenge, especially since nobody in the family shares my “faith” (if it can even be called that). Thankfully, they aren’t against it, either. (Not entirely, anyway, but wait, okay?) Anyway, teaching the girls will definitely be rather tricky: I want them to be able to be exposed to different religions so that they can choose what’s right for them – if anything, that is – but finding a way to go about that hasn’t been easy, and it sure as hell hasn’t been at the top of my To-Do List.

And that’s when my mom stepped on my toes by giving Midget a copy of The Bible and talking about God.

Without my permission.

Without Jeremy’s permission.

Without even mentioning it to either of us before doing it.

She told me about it after the fact and even gave me my own Bible to, IDK, mull over? Maybe she’s hoping to sway me back to the proverbial light? Because she was extremely vocal about disagreeing with my particular brand of spirituality: She shouted that it was “Devil shit,” and “evil,” and the like. (On the flip side, my dad was oddly supportive; he’ll even makes good-natured jokes about crystal balls and patchouli – it’s awesome.)

So, now, Midget has a Bible that I have tried to keep away until at least a little later (because we all know how frustrating it can be to explain anything remotely complex to small children) but she keeps finding the fucking thing and asking questions that I don’t feel that I can even begin to explain at this point in her life.

Goddamn it.

4 comments (+add yours?)

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I definitely understand your frustration, and she was way out of line. On the other hand, people like to talk about God whenever and wherever, so you were bound to have these talks with your kids before you wanted to, anyway. Charlotte had already asked me about church and praying and God because she hears things constantly from Chris's side of the family. Luckily she is young enough that I can give her very brief answers before she sees something shiny and moves on, but I know one day I will have to tell her that I don't believe in God or in living by the bible, but she is free to explore and believe what she chooses. I would be pissed at someone giving her a bible without my permission, but I would give my permission if asked. I can't hide Christianity from her, and I am prepared to talk to her about why it isn't something her dad and I practice. I expect with my MIL l. The case Charlotte WILL own a bible. I'm okay with that as long as she has a lot of supplementary education from us. Still, fucked up that she did it behind your back.

Doria said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ahhh, yes we are in no way religious either. It pisses my Mom off to no end when she starts her Christian rants with me. UGh! Pokey tells me this morning , again, that the rain is because Jesus is crying. How the fuck do I explain weather to a 7 yr old? Remind me to buy a weather book or something! I will NEVER deny my child any religion of her choice, unless its a sick everyone will die cult, but even then can you deny them that? lolz. I dont know. I dread that talk as much as the birds and bees. ARG! Good luck!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

For some reason grandmothers feel they can give and talk about anything to grandchildren. She should have at least talked to you first. Wucking Fizards.... (it's like saying "Fucking Wizards!!!) Totally random thought.

Bea said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Reading this missive brought up memories of older family members giving single-digit-aged me religious literature on the sly. :S

Thanks for your post!
bea

Post a Comment

Cake -- and grief counseling -- will be available at the conclusion of this comment.