Saturday, January 26, 2013

Gender bender

It’s no secret that I have this… thing… about consistency. At this point I’m unsure of whether it’s a personality quirk or a weird litmus test for whether or not I’m particularly hypomanic at a given time. Nevertheless, it exists. With that being said, meet Mordecai and his BFF Bloodwing.

Hella lookin' like a hobo.
In the original Borderlands use of Mordecai’s Action Skill would send Bloodwing screeching into the fray, his razor sharp talons ready and willing to destroy any and every Bandit or Psycho in sight. Allocate Mordecai’s Skill Points just right, and you have a bird that will fuck. shit. up. The combination of Mordy and Blood (which I once saw referred to as “Birdecai”) was damn near unstoppable. And weirdly adorable because among all of the crazy death and destruction going about, Mordecai would call Bloodwing a “good boy” and shit.

Flash forward to Borderlands 2, where Mordecai repeatedly refers to Bloodwing as female. Right away I was like, “What the fuck? Blood’s a dude!” Advance a little more in the game, and suddenly Roland and Lilith refer to the bird as a male. As you might have guessed, this bothered me far more than it should have. However, it turns out that I wasn’t the only person vexed by the blatant inconsistency. A few forum threads popped up here and there which prompted BL2’s lead writer to set things straight:

“To answer your Bloodwing question, Bloodwing is a sequentially protandric creature. Halfway through Bloodwing's life cycle, he switched genders (not entirely unlike the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park).”

Solid explanation for sure, but I can’t help thinking that it’s just a clever way to clear up a legitimate continuity error that was caught too late in production to be fixed. At the end of the day it really has no bearing on the narrative, and it doesn’t make me love the game any less. (Because, seriously, this shit is great!)

Buuuuut I can’t help cringing and/or making faces whenever Bloodwing is mentioned. 

(Because I'm lame.)

0 comments (+add yours?)

Post a Comment

Cake -- and grief counseling -- will be available at the conclusion of this comment.