Sunday, November 10, 2013

But I was here first!

I was considering a move to tumblr, (or at least creating an "extension" of my madness) but then I found out that somebody is already using the domain over there. Or, rather, was using it, because she hasn't updated her stuff in over a year. A quick search over on Google shows that my blog is now number four on the list of Dorkisms on the web; there's a Pinterest user with a sizable board called Dorkisms, and some people going with the "Dork-isms" route (which isn't so bad, I suppose). There's a Facebook page, too; it has an amazing 21 likes. I'm not gonna bother linking it, because, in all honestly, it's pretty bad.

youtube.combuzzfeed.com

So, now I'm a bit... confounded. Changing the name of this blog is not an option; this space has been here since 2009, and I have used it for professional instances (LOL I know, right?); I also got a shout-out from Destructoid last year (can you tell that I'm proud of that?). All of these other spaces were established AFTER I started here, but it's not like the name is copyrighted or anything, so why am I even writing about this?

It's probably not justified, but I can't help feeling a bit salty; before I made this blog, I made damn sure that I wasn't taking somebody else's name/domain/etc.

It would be nice if other people would take the extra time to do that, too.

6 comments (+add yours?)

The one and only ANGUA ;) said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hmm... I understand that you're annoyed by this, but I don't think it's really POSSIBLE to make sure nobody uses the name you pick for your site. I mean... there are only so many words, right? The internet is ENDLESS. I never made sure MY name creations aren't traken, tbh. Why bother, it's not like anyone really cares, right? I don't think anyone thinks that just because two pages have the same name, they also belong together in any way whatsoever... I hope you know what I mean. BTW, I'd love to see you on tumblr, because I just really love tumblr. ;)

Lex said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter; I'm not gonna trip over it, but it's still annoying just the same. Maybe I'll go to tumblr some day, but, ehhh...

Monkey Butt said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You'll always be #1 then :)

Allstarme79 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like tumblr for collecting images and ideas but in terms of "actual" blogging, it's not for me. I find the demographic is a lot younger and therefore, my readers are not looking for the ideas I'm producing.

Lex said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yeah, I'm learning that slowly as I go along. (I ended up starting a tumblr mainly to follow a couple of blogs I like).

Lex said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yeah, I'm starting to learn about it as I go (I started one basically to follow a couple of blogs I like). It would be more convenient to just have everything in one spot, but, I'll live :D

Post a Comment

Cake -- and grief counseling -- will be available at the conclusion of this comment.