Monday, March 17, 2014

Contributing versus condemning: a late-night ode to being annoyed with sexist comments and questionable logic

Hi. I'm terribly sleepy, but I'm a writer and I write about things that are on my mind. (Usually.)

Every time I sit down to watch (fighting game) tournament streams, I see something like this:

You'll probably have to enlarge this. Sorry.

Every.

Damn.

Time.

Like... I turned on the Ultimate Marvel stream for Final Round 17, was called away for a little while, and when I came back this was literally the first thing I saw. It's no secret that sexism tends to really stand out in the FGC (fighting game community) because of how especially male-dominated the scene is, but goddamn. This girl (Persia) knows her shit; the comments when she's off-screen are usually bad enough: jeers about how Sp00ky only has her on mic because it's "politically correct," or other such things like that. But then she's shown for, like, two minutes tops, and even though she's clearly well-established and very knowledgeable, the stream monsters go haywire with misogyny and stupidity. I like that one guy that's saying not to fuck with her, though --  kudos to him.

Somebody on Twitter told me that by capturing and tweeting this image I'm giving it more life than it deserves, and am therefore contributing to the problem; I'm giving the people who say those things attention. To me, that sounds too much like another way of saying, "ignore it and they'll stop."

And, while I sort of see what this person was possibly maybe trying to say I have to disagree. Under such logic, ignoring violent crime will deter criminals because they're not getting attention. Condemning a behaviour sure as hell isn't the same as promoting it, and talking about/acknowledging an issue that has already been touched on by others before me doesn't necessarily mean that it's being perpetuated (though I can see how, in some cases, it could be).

Nevertheless, I'm tired, my finger has just started bleeding everywhere, and seeing these stupid comments over and over and over again is getting old.

Fucking gorps.

2 comments (+add yours?)

Angua85 said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

AMEN to that! I could not agree with you more. It's always good to see others raging about this stuff, too. And I'm totally with you: this NEEDS to be addressed, because it's not just a bunch of kids being silly bullies (which also shouldn't be ignored btw) but it's a HUGE part of society, and it's SO accepted everywhere that it's "normal". So how should ignoring it make it go away? Ignoring racism didn't make it go away either. This logic has some major flaws. Basically, to me it sounds like "shut up so I won't have to think about this because it's making me uncomfortable BECAUSE IT IS TRUE."
Wow, got wordy, sorry. Lots of built up rage. ;)

ryan said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The chat section in most streams are just unbearable. To say that calling these people out just empowers them is nonsense. They are wrong and they need to be called out for their bad behavior.

Post a Comment

Cake -- and grief counseling -- will be available at the conclusion of this comment.